Sunday, January 4

The Wesley Covenant Prayer


This morning's service at PazNaz was not the norm, but was a very unique and cool alternative. Pastor Scott Daniels lead the congregation in the Wesley Covenant Service. According to the sermon notes this morning, Wesley's first formal Covenant Service was held in the French Church at Spitalfields on August 11, 1755. The Covenant Service was published as a pamphlet by Wesley in 1780 and was used without alteration for nearly a century. It is intended to be a reminder of our condition as sinners, our solemn obligation to reaffirm our covenant relationship with God, and an opportunity for a fresh experience of the reality of God's promises and presence.

I found the words of "The Wesley Covenant Prayer" to be particularly meaningful as we start this new year and await what lies ahead...

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
Exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
Let the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

No comments: