Wednesday, August 31

California Check In

So I was looking at my blog and said "I need to blog!" Its been a pretty good week so far. Lots of reading and homework, but I'm keeping up! Actually had an interesting development begin towards the start of my week that I thought I'd share with you all.

On Monday, I got an e-mail from my advisor, Dr. Kirkemo (my Intro to Political Science professor as well) that was sent to all Political Science majors at PLNU. He needs to hire a student assistant for helping with recruiting, events in the Institute of Politics & Public Service, designing and mailing the department newsletter, etc. The position would entail just about 5 hours a week but would possibly increase in hours (if the History Department needs work completed as well) At the end of the e-mail, he said that he "preferred an upperclassman, but this is not required." With that I had some hesitation, but after much deliberation I made my way to Colt Hall yesterday (home to the History/PoliSci Dept.) and picked up an application in the department office. I filled out the application and completed the essay (stating my interests, what I would offer, how I could help recruit PLNU students, etc.) and dropped it by this afternoon.

I came back to my room and turned on my iBook and was checking my e-mail when I found a new message from Dr. Kirkemo. He tells me that he'd like to talk with me ASAP about my application. This evening happened to be the Department Kickoff Dinner (all History, PoliSci, Social Science & International Relations majors) so I spoke with him afterwards. He asked me a couple of questions like why I chose PLNU and asked me more about my essay. I had written a bit about my experiences at Harvard's JFK School of Government and the Institute of Politics, attending speeches and lectures and he seemed to be interested and impressed. So I guess being a nerd for the past couple of years has paid off! (I know some of you are thinking, he's ALWAYS been a nerd!) But to make a long story short, he said he has a few applications to still look at but would let me know as of Friday at the latest. It seems like a very interesting and fun position that I think I could enjoy. Even though its only 5 hours a week, I'm holding my fingers right now because I'll be happy if it works out! I'll keep you all posted!

P.S.--The dinner tonight was pretty fun. I dined with my fellow "colleagues" outside of Colt Hall facing the sunset on the Pacific ;-) The food was interesting but good to experience. Some very different Greek cuisine, but it was pretty good!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good work Henckman! It never hurts to try ... I look forward to hearing what comes out of your application. Enjoy the weekend ahead!