Tuesday, June 10

ACSD | The Journey to Cedarville

I had the joy, privilege and fun of trekking to the thriving metropolis of Cedarville, Ohio last week to attend the annual conference of the Association of Christians in Student Development (ACSD). I journeyed eastward with various members of the Student Development office on campus as well as two recent Point Loma graduates who were interviewing for RD positions at the conference. I was fortunate to attend; both as I begin my role as Student Body President but also as I look at a potential career of some kind in the field.

The five days spent in Ohio were surprisingly exciting. One of the notable feats of the week was a total of 4 separate runs to Sonic. Super sonic sized tots with cheese, cherry and cranberry limeades, and cheesecake bites were a treat to delight in as I was introduced to another state in the great Midwest.

During the last Sonic run, which was spent with Mama Henck who was at the conference to recruit for APU, we were driving back to campus to learn of a tornado warning that was issued. While we were out sipping on limeades and eating a few tots, the entire conference was holed up in residence halls bathroom on lockdown! The drive back through flooded roads, hail and sights of funnel clouds in the distance was pretty intense, but apparently we were a part of a "normal occurrence" as some of the locals told us.

So in the end, it was an exciting week and a rewarding experience to be a part of--to connect with the RDs, to attend some very engaging sessions, and to think about my role as a potential future employee in the field.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I didn't know that you were interested in student development, very cool.

Have I ever told you that I have like 3 Sonics within 2 miles of my house? There are some good things about the south!