Thursday, April 21

On C-SPAN This Morning

I'm on April Vacation this week and had the day off from Starbucks training today, so I woke up and began watching the news. I was flipping through the morning shows and came across my personal "favorite" ;-) -- Washington Journal on C-SPAN, which airs from 9-10:00 a.m.

For those of you who know me, this is another piece of evidence that I am really a geek. This regular morning show on C-SPAN has guests from in and around the Washington area (ranging from reporters to congressmen to lobbyists, etc.) Today's guest was Reg Weaver, president of the National Education Association (NEA) I was listening to his comments he was making (which were entirely against No Child Left Behind, the Bush Administration, etc.) and noticed the number on the bottom of the screen for viewers to call in. So being the conservative I am, I was thorougly frustrated and decided to try it out. I called and called and called, and didn't get a response. Then it was 9:30 and that's when the guest leaves and C-SPAN switches to all callers for the remainder of the half hour. So even though Mr. Weaver left the air, I still tried to call in.

To make a long story short (or atleast try to ;-) -- I ended up getting on C-SPAN at 9:55 a.m. I introduced myself and said I was a high school student and longtime fan of C-SPAN. Then I went on to comment on a few items including Mr. Weaver's comments and the current controversy surrounding Tom DeLay. At the end of a viewer's comments, the host typically says "thanks for calling" and moves onto the next call. However, surprisingly after I was done, the host continued and asked me how long I had been watching C-SPAN. Below is a dialogue of our conversation ;-)

Host--"Hey, why aren't you in school?"

Me--"I'm on school vacation this week"

Host--"And what year are you in high school?"

Me--"I'm a senior this year"

Host--"So what are your plans for next year?"

Me--"I'm planning on majoring in Political Science"

Host--"Where will you be attending?"

Me--"Point Loma Nazarene University, in San Diego, California"

Host--"Well good luck next year. It's been great to talk to you and I'm glad you called in"

:-) So, for being an all-around geek and fan of C-SPAN--that made my morning. I got on cable TV, PLUS I got a plug in for Point Loma! Well, that's all for now. I just thought I would share my excitement for today!

No comments: